Thursday, August 9, 2012

LXDE or KDE

So LXDE started to get on my wick. Yes it is lightweight. But it isn't terribly functional. It got to the point where I just had to say "to heck with it" and try something else.

I had used KDE before and quite liked the user experience. Don't get me wrong - KDE can look very nice. But the thing is just so damn bloated. I can really appreciate why some people yearn for a KDE-lite. But for me it is more justification for me to say that XFCE is the best out there. I've tried Ubuntu's Unity, LXDE, KDE, Gnome3 and XFCE and XFCE has been the best of the lot.

So I had to go through and remove pretty much everything for LXDE and KDE. This basically meant using "rpm -qa lx*" and "rpm -qa kde*" to find the packages and then using "yum erase" to get rid of them. I also used the plugin "yum-plugin-remove-with-leaves" to add a "--remove-leaves" option to yum, meaning I could  remove unused dependencies along with programs.

Finally after all that cleanup I could install XFCE with the following:

yum groupinstall XFCE

Then reboot.

One thing to add after the main XFCE installation:
yum install xfconf libxfce4util libxfce4ui dbus dbus-glib gtk+ xfce4-notifyd

Then log out and back in. Now notifications sent from something like notify-send will actually display on your desktop.

I did a little re-arranging but the desktop basically looks fine. Next post I will go over some hacks to make yumex do some nice auto-update routines.

No comments:

Post a Comment